( Originally posted at: http://herescope.blogspot.com/ )
It is time for a hefty dose of sanity and sobriety in the evangelical world. Those naïve evangelical leaders who are hot on the trail of fame and fortune by emulating and accompanying the IHOP/NAR leaders in these youth movements are playing with fire – strange fire. They are associating with a well-known cult with an historical record of teaching Gnostic mysticism and advocating endtime punitive violence.
In their 1995 book Strange Fire: The Rise of Gnosticism in the Church, which exposed the esoteric roots and fruits of the modern-day IHOP and NAR movements, Travers and Jewel van der Merwe warned about their faulty teachings about God’s “presence”:
When a high value is placed on personal experiences or revelations, Scriptures are then unscrupulously twisted and misquoted. We find those who believe the feelings of a congregation must be hyped up in order to “feel” the Presence of the Lord or else the church is thought to be “dead”. Instead of music being used to worship and glorify God, it is used as a means of “connecting” or “feeling” the Presence of God. If the “location” (or a feeling within) of God is not aroused and sensed, the Spirit is said to be either absent or bound. To counter this passive situation, worship is intensified, the devil is “bound” and certain forms of excitement are encouraged until “God’s Presence” is “felt”. Many times music is used as the conduit for the “feeling”. A popular slogan to advertise a certain music company is: “Feel the Presence of the Lord”. The church has been taken down this primrose path for so long that they equate the Presence of God with a certain feeling that they obtain by doing certain things. The “goose bumps” or the “warm fuzzies” or tears of comfort, is their way of “knowing” that God is present. So what this thinking boils down to is simply: “To know God’s Presence you must feel Him.” In actuality this is pure Gnosticism….
The Gnostic god is localised in a subjective experience, a soulish feeling of being in union with creation and God. It rejects the relationship with the Creator based on faith in His written Word….
[W]hen emotional feelings become the doctrine of God’s Presence, then God has been reduced to a “gnosis” form of Presence. For many, the doctrine of “knowing the Presence of God” is sought in a subjective experience. An emotional experience, especially a repetitive one during a worship service, if not kept in proper perspective or check, can lead to an altered state of consciousness in which the capacity for rational reasoning is greatly reduced. At this point the congregation is open to delusion and can be easily led astray. In many charismatic groups an altered state of mind is explained as “getting into the Spirit” or as a manifestation of the presence of God. Uncontrolled spiritual feelings transcend sound scriptural rationalism and give rise to the doctrine of “the Presence of God” built on an experience. [emphasis added]
and be not moved away from the hope of the Gospel,
which ye have heard….
1. John Piper, “Thoughts from Lausanne II in Manila,” July 21, 1989,http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/articles/thoughts-from-lausanne-ii-in-manila. Note that John Piper was at Fuller Seminary during the heyday of John Wimber and C. Peter Wagner and their Third Wave.
2. Pastor Ken Silva, “FRANCIS CHAN DECLARES “I LOVE MIKE BICKLE” OF IHOP,”http://apprising.org/2014/01/02/francis-chan-declares-i-love-mike-bickle-of-ihop/. For more information see: http://apprising.org/2014/01/25/mike-bickle-and-his-international-house-of-prayer/
3. Transcripts, Kansas City Fellowship, 1988 Interview Bob Jones with Mike Bickle). See:http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/07/ihops-new-breed-leaders.html. This quote was excerpted from the June 1990 Discernment Newsletter and also posted in its complete context on Herescope here: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2006/02/new-breed-defined.html
4. The following articles document the history of doctrines and personnel of this movement: http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/thirdwaveteachings.html andhttp://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/geneology.html andhttp://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/kcp.html and http://banner.org.uk/kcp/kcp-roots.html and HTTP://HERESCOPE.BLOGSPOT.COM/2008/09/IHOP-LATTER-RAIN.HTML
5. See: IHOP Enters Dominion/Christian Right Politics: IHOP is starting to feel its Dominion oats, IHOP: International House of Political Action: IHOP Enters Dominion/Christian Right Politics, IHOP & the NAR: The Formation of a Revolution, IHOP’s New Breed Leaders,Prayer Warfare Evangelism: The New Order Prayer Cover
6. See articles: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2012/09/be-still.html andhttp://apprising.org/2014/01/02/francis-chan-declares-i-love-mike-bickle-of-ihop/ andhttp://apprising.org/2014/01/16/john-piper-and-stephen-venable-of-ihop-together-at-linger-conference/ and http://mywordlikefire.com/2014/01/21/ihop-kc-contemplative-at-linger-conference-reformed-contemplative-at-liberate2014one-way-love-conference/ andhttp://apprising.org/2014/01/24/matt-chandler-shares-a-prophecy-with-james-robison/and http://apprising.org/2012/09/21/beth-moore-and-john-piper-set-for-passion-2013-with-louis-giglio/ and http://apprising.org/2014/01/23/stephen-venable-out-of-linger-conference/ and http://herescope.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-significance-of-youth-filled.html
7. See this article and follow the links: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-significance-of-youth-filled.html
8. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2013/11/another-jesus-calling.html
9. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/04/altered-states-different-gate.html
10. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-present-of-his-presence.html
11. This phrase is a reference to the belief of the Kansas City Prophets that there would be an endtime “Joel’s Army” made up of a youthful “New Breed” that would represent a “elect seed” to take over the earth. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/07/ihops-new-breed-leaders.html
12. Jeff Tietz, “Love and Death In the House of Prayer,”http://m.rollingstone.com/culture/news/love-and-death-in-the-house-of-prayer-20140121Ed Note: This 7 mountains teaching is Dominionism. Dominion is part of the “purpose” of all of this “passion,” as shall be seen.
13. John Lambert, “The Growing Impact of The International House of Prayer (IHOP),”http://spreadtheflame.com/2013/12/international-house-of-prayer-ihopkc/
14. Dr. Orrel Steinkamp, “The Restoration of Davidic Warfare/Worship,” The Plumbline, Volume 7, No. 4, September/October 2002,http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/orrel11.html
15. Dr. Steinkamp, Ibid.
16. Dr. Steinkamp, Ibid.
17. Dr. Steinkamp, Ibid.
18. Mike Bickle, “Seven characteristics of the end-time prayer and worship movement,”http://ministrytodaymag.com/index.php/features/19192-vital-signs
19. Dr. Steinkamp, Ibid. This is a quote from Michael Moriarity, The New Charismatics(Zondervan, 1992), p. 280.
20. Dr. Steinkamp, citing a report by Tricia Tillin,http://www.banner.org.uk/apostasy/harp-bowl.htm. This appears as a quotation on the Banner Ministries website, attributed to:http://www.revivaltimes.faithweb.com/tabernacle.htm
21. Tricia Tillen’s report on the “Tabernacle of David,”http://www.banner.org.uk/apostasy/harp-bowl.htm
22. Tricia Tillen, Ibid. She notes that there are others who teach a variation on this theme of manifesting as a son of God—that there will be a “progression into spiritual perfection and holiness in the endtimes.”
23. Tricia Tillen, Ibid, citing a report titled “The Ministry of the Harp, the Bowl and the Scepter : The Harp of Praise, the Bowl of Incense and the Scepter of Righteousness – releasing apostolic power in the earth,”http://www.fni.com/worship/199904/msg00317.html
24. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/09/apostolic-dominionism.html
25. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/03/return-of-warrior-prophets.html
26. Tricia Tillen, Ibid, quoting from http://www.fni.com/worship/199904/msg00317.htmlSee Exhibit 11 and the text for Exhibit 11 below.
27. Tricia Tillen, Ibid.
28. Tricia Tillen, Ibid, citing http://www.fni.com/worship/199904/msg00317.html
29. Travers and Jewel van der Merwe, Strange Fire: The Rise of Gnosticism in the Church(Conscience Press, 2005), posted online at: http://www.discernment-ministries.org/StrangeFire.pdf Also quoted in this key Herescope post that explains the endtime eschatology of this movement: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/03/post-apostolic.html
30. For more details on this belief, see Joel’s Army booklet by Jewel Grewe, posted at:http://www.discernment-ministries.org/JoelsArmy.pdf
31. See Herescope posts that document this key point:http://herescope.blogspot.com/2005/12/dominionist-rhetoric.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2006/07/more-militant-rhetoric.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2006/07/more-than-reformation-purification-of.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2008/02/dread-champion-army.html
32. Tricia Tillen, Ibid. She explains: “The word ‘inhabit’ means to sit down (as to judge) but is translated elsewhere in the bible as ‘enthroned’ – but does this verse say in Hebrew that God is enthroned on our praise? NO. The verse literally reads: But Thou/ Holy/ enthroned/ the praise of/ Israel.”
33. Dr. Steinkamp, Ibid.
35. See “Altered States: A Different Gate,”http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/04/altered-states-different-gate.html
36. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2014/01/sensa-scriptura.html and follow the links.
37. Wimber, Ibid.
38. Wimber, Ibid.
39. Wimber, Ibid.
40. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-present-of-his-presence.html
41. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-significance-of-youth-filled.html
42. C. Peter Wagner, who founded of the NAR, also teaches this doctrine. See:http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/10/c-peter-wagner.html
43. For example, the New Age Harmonic Convergence was based on the belief that if enough people simultaneously meditated across the globe that it could invoke the spirit of a New Age, of an age of harmony and peace and global cooperation. See:http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/06/new-age-date-setting.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2012/12/2012-new-agers-mayan-prophecies.html
44. Wimber, Ibid.
45. Wimber, Ibid.
46. It is this fifth stage, giving money, where many of the Word-Faith teachers brought in their heretical doctrines, teaching that believers would become rich and prosperous if they sent more money in to their ministries.
47. Subheading in Albert James Dager’s report “John Wimber & The Vineyard,”http://www.inplainsite.org/html/vineyard_john_wimber.html#Dager
48. Wimber’s “Healing Seminar Syllabus,” referenced by Pastor Bill Randles in his report, “The Roots: John Wimber and the Vineyard,”http://www.inplainsite.org/html/vineyard_john_wimber.html#Randles
49. Pastor Bill Randles, Ibid.
50. Al Dager, Ibid. For important history, wee also Al Dager’s two books Vengeance Is Ours: The Church in Dominion (Sword, 1990) and The World Christian Movement (Sword 2001).
51. Dager, Ibid.
52. Mike Oppenheimer, http://www.letusreason.org/curren29.htm. For more history see the following posts: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/07/prayer-warfare-evangelism.html and http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/08/c-peter-wagner-spins-nar.html. Also see the articles referenced in earlier footnotes.
53. Bill Alnor, “The Kansas City Prophets,” 1996.http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/kcp.html
54. See http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/07/ihop-nar.html
55. See Dr. Orrel Steinkamp’s articles about IHOP’s foray into center-stage American politics: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2010/04/coalescing-of-christian-right-with.htmland http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/07/ihop-enters-dominionchristian-right.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/07/ihop-international-house-of-political.html
56. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/08/c-peter-wagner-spins-nar.html
57. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2010/05/mainstreaming-dominionism.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2010/04/coalescing-of-christian-right-with.html
58. See the many articles published on Herescope at that time:http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/10/c-peter-wagner.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/09/apostolic-dominionism.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/09/who-invented-dominionism.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/09/documenting-dominionism.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/08/denying-dominionism.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/08/c-peter-wagner-spins-nar.html
59. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-significance-of-youth-filled.html
61. Boze Herrington, posting a response to the Rolling Stone expose, “Love & Death in the House of Prayer,” in which he is mentioned. Posted at:http://thetalkingllama.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/love-death-in-the-house-of-prayer-a-rolling-stone-expose/
62. The author of this post, Sarah Leslie, was exposed to the doctrines of the “Kansas City Prophets” in the late 1980s and can attest to this being a central teaching. It was embedded in a revised eschatological scenario with an intoxicating promise of a huge outpouring of spiritual power before the end days, which would supernaturally equip believers with elite spiritual gifts.
63. Andrew Jackson, “Forerunner Eschatology,” Christian Research Journal, Issue 32-04,http://journal.equip.org/articles/forerunner-eschatology orhttp://www.equip.org/articles/forerunner-eschatology See Herescope:http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/07/ihop-international-house-of-political.html
64. This is actually a quote from Francis Frangipane, one of Bickle’s cohorts, in his bookThe Days of His Presence. It is quoted, along with other Kansas City Prophets’ materials, in the synopsis by Ed Tarkowski that appears at the bottom of a Herescope post:http://herescope.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-significance-of-youth-filled.html
65. http://herescope.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-significance-of-youth-filled.html citing Rick Joyner. Footnote 11 reads: See the Herescope post, “IHOP’s New Breed Leaders,” 7/16/11, and read the list of quotations there:http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/07/ihops-new-breed-leaders.html. This particular quote comes from Rick Joyner, The Morning Star Prophetic Bulletin, August 1994, footnote 20 in the Oct/Nov/Dec 1994 Discernment Newsletter, http://www.discernment-ministries.org/Newsletters/NL1994OctNovDec.pdf.
66. Ibid, Dr. Steinkamp. This quote is attributed to Tricia Tillen of Banner Ministries.
67. Dr. Orrel Steinkamp, “New Apostolic Reformation: A Warning About Latter Day Apostles,” http://so4j.com/new-apostolic-reformation-latter-rain. The quote is attributed to Francis Frangipane, In The Presence Of God (New Wine Press 1994), pp. 153-157.
68. Francis Frangipane, “The Intensifying Presence,” TheElijahList, Jan. 30, 2013. Note that Frangipane, who is most noted for his mystical Gnostic beliefs, has authored a number of books about “presence.” This excerpt was attributed to his book The Days of His Presence.
69. Frangipane, Ibid. See also his writings: http://elijahlist.com/words/display_word.html?ID=12298 and http://elijahlist.com/words/display_word.html?ID=12182. Frangipane disparages doctrine in favor of the experiences of God, saying: “When we accept Christ into our hearts, He does not enter simply as a doctrine. No, He enters us as a living voice. His Spirit brings conviction and direction; He speaks through dreams, visions, revelation, and understanding of the Scriptures.”
70. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2006/02/joels-army-day-of-lord.html andhttp://www.discernment-ministries.org/JoelsArmy.pdf
71. “Forerunner Eschatology,” Ibid.
72. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/09/dominique.html andhttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/04/warrior-bride.html
73. See Herescope posts: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2006/05/military-new-breed.html and http://herescope.blogspot.com/2006/04/joels-army-is-recruiting.html. Especially see: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2006/02/new-breed-and-incarnating-christ.html
74. “Forerunner Eschatology,” Ibid.
75. “Forerunner Eschatology,” Ibid..
76. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/10/renaming-dominon.html. This is quoting Johnny Enlow’s book The Seven Mountain Prophecy: Unveiling the Coming Elijah Revolution (Creation House, 2008) which is about Dominionism and apostolic structures.
77. Mike Oppenheimer, “The Manifest Sons of God teaching,”http://www.letusreason.org/Latrain1.htm
78. See: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/10/renaming-dominon.html. Quoting Lance Wallnau, who wrote the Foreword to Os Hillman’s book Change Agent: Engaging Your Passion to be the One Who Makes A Difference (Charisma House, 2011). See footnote 8 for a rebuttal to this mis-use of Scripture.
79. See” http://herescope.blogspot.com/2010/03/emerging-evangelical-idolatry.html and follow the links, especially to: http://guardinghisflock.com/2010/03/04/eroticizing-the-eucharist-1/
80.“Love and Death In the House of Prayer,” Ibid.
81. See Dr. Orrel Steinkamp’s report on the IHOP “Bridal Paradigm” at:http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/orrel34.pdf
82. “Mike Bickle’s Gigolo Jesus,” http://herescope.blogspot.com/2008/05/mike-bickles-gigolo-jesus.html
83. “Gigolo Jesus,” Ibid.
84. “Forerunner Eschatology,” Ibid. See also:http://herescope.blogspot.com/2008/07/gods-dream.html
85. “Love and Death In the House of Prayer,” Ibid.
86. “Love and Death In the House of Prayer,” Ibid.
87. “Love and Death In the House of Prayer,” Ibid.
88. Read: http://www.discernment-ministries.org/StrangeFire.pdf
1. Charisma, “Over 30K People Gather in Kansas City for Prayer Conference.” Under the photo it reads: Over 30,000 people from 100 countries met in Kansas City for the International House of Prayer Conference. (K.M. Photography).http://www.charismamag.com/spirit/prayer/19477-over-30k-people-gather-in-kansas-city-for-prayer-conference
2. Posted by Christine Pack, “Francis Chan: “I love Mike Bickle,”http://www.solasisters.com/2014/01/francis-chan-i-love-mike-bickle.html?m=1. See also:http://apprising.org/2014/01/02/francis-chan-declares-i-love-mike-bickle-of-ihop/
3. Advertised by the NAR’s chief media outlet, TheElijahList on July 6, 2011. The text below this graphic explains the stated “purpose” of this event: “This gathering is dedicated to those who cannot and will not settle for anything but His Glory and Presence. They will risk and forsake all for the prize of the High calling. An invitation to enter through the veil into His Presence as we join with all our heart and all of our mind and all of our strength to praise and worship the King of Glory, to hear His voice and receive commissioning for this new season.” [emphasis added]
4. Graphic from article by Erik Eckholm, “Where Worship Never Pauses, New York Times, July 9, 2011. Caption beneath photo states: “Beau Million of Fort Smith, Ark., travels a few times a year to Kansas City, Mo., to worship for several weeks at a time at the International House of Prayer.” The article states that Bickle “been criticized by some pastors for what they describe as unorthodox theology and a cultish atmosphere, charges that Mr. Bickle rejects. Some former students said they had been expelled for questioning the fascination with mystical healings, prophesies, angels and demons.” He also wrote that “Some former students have complained that the sensory overload and isolation had left them unable to think for themselves, and that some leaders had urged them to avoid contact with skeptical parents.”
5. Event advertised by TheElijahList, August 20, 2013. The text of the ad says, in part,“Get ready to awaken the gifts and dreams that God has placed inside of you and learn how to walk them out in the power of the Spirit…. Every session has been designed to equip you to step into deeper dimensions of healing, faith and Holy Spirit-empowered ministry. ” [bold in original]
6. Graphic appearing in an article by Bill Bray, “The New Student Missions Revival and Indigenous Missions,” January 9, 2013.http://www.assistnews.net/Stories/2013/s13010043.htm. He wrote: “At the One Thing 12 conference in Kansas City, prayer went on day and night for Urbana 12 and observers agree with director Mike Bickle said that the prayer movement and the mission’s movement are merging into one.”
7. A poster that was for sale from Kansas City Fellowship two decades ago which depicts the “manchild” — a fair-skinned baby who represents the “New Breed” becoming “god-man.” We also posted this image here: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/07/ihops-new-breed-leaders.html
8. Another item from the Kansas City Fellowship two decades ago. The military knight in armor holding a blonde-haired, blue-eyed baby, represents the “New Breed” that is born to become “Joel’s Army.” Note: Jewel (van der Merwe) Grewe shown these two graphic images (Exhibit 7 & 8) of the New Breed babies as exhibits in her many speeches over the years about the original KC Prophets. Discernment Ministries has on file the original documentation on this matter. We also posted this exhibit here:http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/07/ihops-new-breed-leaders.html
9. This exhibit is an incredibly graphic depiction of the doctrine of the Latter Rain, NAR and IHOP movements concerning a militant bride that conquers the earth before the return of Christ. This image of “The Warrior Bride” was contained in an e-mail advertisement from TheElijahList which was e-mailed on March 30, 2007, entitled “Warrior Bride Awaken.” It advertised the conference, which included “JOANNE MECKSTROTH, RENEE DUNCAN, VICKI STRICKLAND, HEIDI THOMASON, and WORSHIP by GODSONG: April 12-14, 2007; Lakeside, AZ .” Herescope published a post on this at the time athttp://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/04/warrior-bride.html, but shortly after this, the image was removed from TheElijahList website. The original url washttp://www.elijahlist.com/words/display_word_pf.html?ID=5134. It is still on the “wayback machine” at:http://web.archive.org/web/20070430173406/http://www.elijahlist.com/words/display_word_pf.html?ID=5134 and we posted it here: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2011/09/dominique.html
10. TheElijahList conference promo, July 27, 2010, “The Spirit and the Bride.” Its “purpose” is described: “This conference will release revelation, insights and keys to walk in greater intimacy with the Lord. You will receive knowledge and prophetic understanding of the times we are in and the days of explosive acceleration that are just ahead. You will be equipped to walk with God in power for victorious exploits and harvest.” [emphasis added]
11. Chuck D. Pierce mailing, “Join us for THE ARK IS MOVING! (Sept 30 – Oct 2, Jacksonville, FL),” August 20, 2010. The text reads: “How will His Presence move in the earth in this hour in history? How will we move with His Presence? How will leaders lead? King David earnestly desired for the Ark of the Lord to be positioned in Jerusalem but his first attempt ended in failure! When He inquired of the Lord, he found heaven’s blueprint and safely moved it to Jerusalem and a location where a new form of worship was developed.” [emphasis added]